Recently I started doing a weekly video, I’m going to try and cover many things. Personal and topical but will try and make sure it is entertaining. When I first started with the idea of making a video I thought it would be nothing but good from then on. As I have now made a couple video the pros and cons have made themselves clear and I think it would be useful for anyone who is considering doing a video blog along with their text posts. Lets start with the Pros.
- Your different. We all bring something different to the table, and I think this what people want to see. We can have similar perspectives on something but we can bring a different way of explain or showing. Which makes it more interesting and not just the same thing people have seen over and over.
- Video can appeal to more people. Lets face it when I see a big long blog post I sometime cheat and skip through it and only getting some of the content with in but with video I don’t have to work. We can just click play and either watch it or just listen to it.
- Show rather than tell. For those of you that do tutorials, video is a wonderful featured because it is so much easier to show those who want to learn something new than writing it all out. Screencasting is a wonderful feature that most computers come with these days which makes it very possible to show your viewers exactly what you are talking about.
- Personality. We bring more personality to the table when were doing our videos. For me I become a lot more sarcastic when I make a video apposed to when I’m writing a post.
- Although video involves less work for the viewer, it involves more work for the creator. If you make a semi-professional videos you need a script, and a setup along with preparing yourself. You need to be in the right mood, be organized and look presentable so that the audience doesn’t get the wrong message.
- If you write a blog often you know it takes time to prepare what you going to write and it is time consuming but making a video is even more so. When your filming your video chances are your not going to be able to do it in one take, I know myself I have probably three of four takes of each segment of the video. Once you finally have completed the filming you need to edit which because of the many different takes will not only take a lot of time for that but importing it will take its toll. Once you have it imported you are able to begin editing which can add up the time as you think of new and different effect and features you can add in to make it better.
- As much as you try and make you video appeal to everyone your just not going to be able to. Some people just don’t like video, they would rather read something because they be able to take it in easier than just watching someone quickly go on about the subject. Video can also turn some people off not just because they don’t want to watch it but because they can’t, there is still a high percentage of people who use dial-up that are not able to stream video.
These are some of the pros and cons about video on you blog. If you have you own pros and cons please post them up in the comments section and I will add them to the post with a link back to your blog.