More Video more often – I’ll try.
Starting now Ykonline is running its first contest. The “Be Heard” contest. Find all the details at ykonline.ca Kyle WiTh: youtube.com Follow me on Twitter @kylewith – twitter.com Check out my Website/Blog – kylewith.com
Well it is now a month away from when I leave the north for 9 months. I have started to plan out the trip south. I will get off work for the last time Friday July 31 and pack my truck that day if it wasn’t already. Then try to get any bit of sleep I can manage that night. I don’t plan on leaving Yellowknife as early as I normally do as I plan to overnight in High Level because I’m not sure how the trailer will do on the Rae Road. Better Safe than Sorry. On Sunday I would then leave High Level and instead of turning at Rycroft to go to Dawson Creek keep heading south into Grande Prairie where I could get my iPhone and potentially meet up with some friends for supper in the”big city”. After supper we would all make the quick 2 hour drive back to their place 45 minutes west of Dawson Creek.
And there you would have it. 1500km, 2 days, an iPhone, a new home.
I know what your thinking: What former President Bush on Twitter, I thought it would never happen. I didn’t even think that guy knew how to use a cell phone.
Well that is wrong. He is not. I was reading today’s paper and turned to our own Bush’s weekly cartoon. What was it about, twitter of course.
I like this cartoon. It makes me laugh because to some extent it is very true. The one thing I think is slightly wrong about it that I want to get out of the way first is. There are not many youth in Yellowknife actually using Twitter, it is mainly people over the age of 20.
That aside, the meaning of the picture is exactly what is going on right now. The majority of people do not understand Twitter (and other social networking sites) and choose not too. Which is unfortunate because that is the way things are going. Soon the internet will be used in every form of business and these social networking sites with be a very useful tool. The one thing I would like to try and encourage businesses and governments to do is not be the last one to join the revolution. Why not try to incorporate it now, why not try and be one of the front runners in this new revolution. Think of the recognition our small northern city could get if we started to use these sites to our advantage before others.
For example: Google Wave, which Google just announced 2 weeks ago will change (REALLY CHANGE) the way e-mail sharing and collaboration is done within a workforce. I encourage you to watch Google’s video on the Wave
Yellowknife, what are you thoughts on these Social Networking sites? Do you understand them?
The Youth of Yellowknife are finally venturing out of there corners of the Internet to explore the much raved about Twitter. What this means I don’t know.
I can predict it. They will come; they will come in herds. First a couple will join and then all of a sudden most of Yellowknife’s teens will be 140 characters or less online as well as on there mobile phones. They will “chit chat” with each other, meet new people from down south, get themselves in trouble, become addicted to it, rant and rave about it, get it banned on the school computers just like Facebook, MySpace and Nexopia and etc.
What gets me is that I have been on Twitter (@the_bushman) since November and I have yet to even come close to using it at its fullest potential; so I can only wonder how much will teenagers get out of it. This is not a hit at them by any means it is just my curiosity. Will they get bored with it because it does not appear as advanced as other Social Networking site or will it out last those sites because of its right away simplicity.
So if there are any youth that have just joined Twitter or are considering this I want to share with you some of the different sides to Twitter.
- Marketing. Do you have something to sell, something to advertise, a blog or website, company. Twitter is a good way to spread the word. You could potentially reach thousands of people with in 140 characters. Darren Rowse, who became a famous blogger because of Problogger (a Blog about Blogging) also created Twitip a site all about Twitter, featuring apps, tips, and ideas all for your use on Twitter.
- Celebrities. They are out there, real or not. Celebrities have started twittering to keep their fans up to date. Oprah being one of the newest and you damn well know if she approves it half the world will be registered by the next day. Then there is Ashton Kutcher who is 100% himself on it as well as Demi but don’t be fooled not all celebrities are the real person. Some hire people specifically to twitter about them, sad I know.
- Then you have what I like to think to be normal people. People like myself who twitter about what they are doing, what they’re reading or watching, their amazing finds, what they have learned, etc. This is what I think the average Twit is like.
- News. Like Newspaper, TV and Radio Station, etc. They will more than likely just have an account that generates a tweet about a News Article via RSS Feed. Which is a smart thing. I have personally never had News faster. Some may say this is just an attempt to save old media before new media completely takes over, and I say that is fine with me. The great thing about News and Twitter is you can ReTweet a News Update and it can get out to the public faster than ever before.
- Finally (at least the last one I can think of at 4am) the people that never really get to experience Twitter for anything other than updating their every move so their tight knit group of friends knows where they are at all times.
So now you have a bit of a background as to what twitter is and what it can be used for. I expect you all to follow me @the_bushman, only joking, but seriously. If you are Twittering in the Yellowknife or NWT area go on over to @amsiebee‘s website and add your self to the Twitter Directory for Yellowknife.